Former President of Peru Alberto Fujimori (c) leaves the Centennial Clinic in Lima accompanied by his son congressman Kenji (d) on January 4, 2018
The Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori left the Lima clinic on Thursday where he was hospitalized for 12 days for heart problems, benefited by a controversial pardon.
The following are nine key moments since he left office:
– November 18: Fujimori arrives in Japan from Brunei where he was on an official trip as president. From Tokyo he sends a fax in which he resigns as president. Three days later, the Peruvian Congress dismisses him and disqualifies him from holding public office for ten years.
– November 6: Surprisingly, Fujimori arrives in Santiago de Chile from Japan in a private plane. The next day he is arrested preventively by order of a judge of the Supreme Court of Chile.
The family of the Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori
– January 3: Peru formally asks Chile for his extradition on 12 charges of corruption and human rights violations committed by Fujimori during his government (1990-2000).
– September 21: The Chilean Supreme Court grants extradition for two cases of human rights and five cases of corruption. A day later, Fujimori leaves Lima aboard a Peruvian police plane and is detained in the barracks of the Special Operations Directorate of the Police, where he will spend the next 10 years.
– December 10: The process against Fujimori for the killing of Barrios Altos and La Cantuta and the kidnapping of a journalist and an entrepreneur begins.
– 2008 –
– June 4: Fujimori will undergo surgery on his tongue and see if he has cancer. The trial is suspended for a week. Three months later it is reported that he has a benign tumor in the pancreas. He will then be hospitalized and operated on several occasions.
– 2009 –
– April 7: Justice condemns Fujimori to 25 years in prison. He claimed innocence in the trial. Subsequently, several times his family unsuccessfully requested that he be pardoned.
– 2017 –
– December 24: President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski pardons him for „humanitarian“ reasons three days after he was saved from being removed by Congress. The abstentions of Kenji Fujimori and other Fujimori legislators made shipwreck the attempt to remove him from power.
– 2018 –
– January 4: Fujimori leaves as a free man the clinic in Lima where he was hospitalized for 12 days for a cardiac arrhythmia, while Kuczynski faces a new political storm.